Do you know how many engineers are getting job every year?

Passed-out Versus Placed Engineers

Almost 15 lakhs Engineers are pass outs every year. And out of these, approximately more than 60% remain unemployed or underpaid.

More than eight lakh engineers graduating from technical institutions across the country every year remain unemployed, according to the “All India Council for Technical Education”. This is potential loss of 20 lakh man days annually.

The top 10 IT companies take only 6% of the engineering graduates. What happens to the remaining 94%.

As many as 97 per cent of graduating engineers want jobs either in software engineering or core engineering. However, only 3 per cent have suitable skills to be employed in software or product market, and only 7 per cent can handle core engineering tasks.

According to the HRD ministry, India has 6,214 engineering and technology institutions which are enrolling 2.9 million students. Around 1.5 million engineers are released into the job market every year. But the dismal state of higher education in India ensures that they simply do not have adequate skills to be employed.

A college with a good reputation can open you many doors.

It is obvious that a college with a good reputation can provide you many opportunities. Good colleges have career fairs in which many employers attend. This enables you to find a job easier. Also, most colleges have alumni networks and this network can help you land a job. However, if you attend a college which no one has ever heard of, that won’t help you as much as you hope for because everybody can get four-year degrees nowadays. The important thing is how you stand out among this crowd. Similarly, if you decide not to go to college but instead, work full-time and just go to work from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day but don’t grow yourself personally, don’t add any new skills to yourself or don’t take any major responsibilities, then your experience doesn’t matter as much because you are not moving forward.

What can happen when such a large population of youth do not get jobs?

Experts say that this may cause serious instability in the economic and social conditions in the country, along with wide scale dissatisfaction and disillusionment.

Though the quantity of universities, colleges and programs are going on increasing in the country, the lack of quality education persists. Profit-hungry managements, lack of skill education, resplendent corruption, focus on rote-learning methods, and shortage of faculty (both in quantity and quality) are the major issues plaguing higher education. Graduates are collecting their degrees despite not being skilled enough to be a productive part of the Indian economy.

Why India is producing so many Unemployed engineer graduates?

In India People are blindly follows the trend, intern graduating as engineer is also one of a trend. 25% engineers in the world are from India. The main fact is performance of engineer graduates who output from engineering graduates. The main fact is performance of engineer graduates who output from engineering graduates.

Two major factors are responsible for this worrying trend. One, the ease of securing approval from the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) to set up engineering colleges has led to the mushrooming of institutes, many of which do not have the right faculty or the curriculum to train students. Second, the courses being taught are not in tune with the industry’s requirements, both in product manufacturing and services sectors.